Just leave a comment with a link to your blog and I will follow you!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Dinner Experiment #1

I had to drill this weekend, so I didn't get to do anything crafty.  I just got to run around in my Army get up and be the boss :) So this Monday I am including two of my dinner experiments.  Tomorrow I am going to post how to make a super easy, fabulous looking, braided calzone!!

This past week I made two new dinners.  The first one was Cheddar Chicken Pie.  I got the recipe from Taste of Home: Casseroles book.  I actually followed this recipe, that is a rarity for me!  I usually add ingredients or modify the recipe in some way or another.  Oh wait, I did modify this one.  I used a broccoli and cauliflower combo instead of just broccoli.  And it said to make it in a pie pan and I did not.  

Here is the recipe as it is in the book:

Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.  Yield: 6 Servings  

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained (I used a broccoli and cauliflower frozen combo)
  • 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheese, broccoli, chicken and onion; spread into a greased 10-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, beat the milk, eggs, biscuit mix, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over broccoli mixture (do not stir).
  • Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. 
This is what my Cheddar Chicken Pie turned out looking like.  

The second recipe I made was Tamale Pie.  I had seen a few different ones out there so I kind of incorporated them all into one.  Lil Mr. and Big B ate this up!!   

Ingredients:


  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes NOT DRAINED
  • 1 can kidney beans drained
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix and ingredients need to make mix



YUM!!!

Directions:

Brown ground beef and onions, if excess fat, drain. Add tomatoes, beans, and seasonings. Blend together and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Add spices to taste. Pour mixture in baking pan, preferably 13 x 9 cake pan. Mix corn muffin mix following the box directions. Pour over meat mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Ingredients:

No comments:

Post a Comment