Just leave a comment with a link to your blog and I will follow you!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Our Favorite Books

I know I was supposed to have picture of the birthday stuff up, but I haven't gotten them uploaded yet.  However with all the gifts that Lil Mr. got it got me to think about our favorite books.  So here is a list of our 25 favorite books to read to Lil Mr. and our 5 favorite series.

Guess How Much I Love You - This one is our favorite!  Lil Mr. will bring this book to us over and over again.  I especially love the end!
Wake Up Papa Bear - Lil Mr. loves to read about how to wake up his Papa Bear!


The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Lil Mr. loves this one too!  

Veggie Tales Bible Storybook- I like how this gives you a story that goes with the lesson and the original bible story.  How could you not love Bob and Larry?

Ten Shiny Snails - We like to count the shiny snails and go along with their adventure of the night!

The Happiest Hippo in the World - This green hippo helps us celebrate our differences. 
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - "I'll meet you at that top of the coconut tree".  I like the way this book flows, it is easy to read and a fun way to learn your abcs.   

Caps for Sale -  I like the silly adventure of getting his caps back from the mischievous monkeys!

Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins -  This is one from when I was a kid.  We were Jewish, I think I got it from a book fair.  But I do like the story and the lessons it brings.  Even if you are not Jewish this is a great book, and it teaches a little about the practice of Hanukkah too!!

The Little Engine That Could - This is the cover that I remember as a kid, but we have a board book that is different now.  I still love this story.  "I think I can, I think I can"

The Lorax - We love all things Dr. Seuss!  I love truffula trees and the  Brown Barbaloots!  When will the Once-ler learn?  I am also super excited about the new movie!  

Love you Forever - This book is another favorite because it teaches that we love our children no matter what.   

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - This book was around when I was a kid and I loved it then.  I was stoked about the movie too when it came out, and I am just glad that it has been given new life so that I can share it with Lil Mr.  

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - Another book from my childhood that I love sharing with Lil Mr.  It is such a zany tale of cause and effect!  

Thunder Cake -  As a kid my mother and I made thunder cake. MMMMMMmm.  I can tell that Lil Mr is not yet into this book, I think I read it more for my benefit.  But I am hopeful one day he loves this story as much as I do and we make thunder cake together.

Saint George and the Dragon - Classic hero story.  Knight saves princess from dragon.  If you are familiar with the story The Fairy Queen you'll recognize this story.  The illustrations are phenomenal! Edge to edge!  This is one that my father bought me as a kid.  I read it so much that it is held together by clear packing tape!

Oh, the Places You'll Go! - No list in my family would be complete without this Dr. Seuss classic.  It was my Grandfather's favorite and now one of mine.

The Velveteen Rabbit -  Always a classic.  Everyone knows the story of the Velveteen Rabbit and how toys become real with all that love poured into them.

Where the Wild Things Are -  I was really disappointed in the the movie.  However I still love this book and always will.  Lil Mr. loves monsters and he likes to roar at the ones in the book.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? - I think that Lil Mr. just loves to look at the pictures.  We have a box collection of these books.

Goodnight Moon -  Goodnight everything! 

Corduroy - This Bear's journey in the closed department store to find his lost button is too cute.  I remember this book when I was young.  I read it over and over!

Runaway Bunny - I like the game of chase... this book paints a vivid picture of a mama bunny running after her baby bunny, "For you are my little bunny."  I think our first copy of this book was my dad's.  So we are on third generation of reading this one.

Harold and the Purple Crayon - How could you not love Harold?

 And my 5 favorite series:
The Frog and Toad Series - I read them all as a kid! Such great stories!


The Little Bear Series -  Read all of these.  We also like the television show.  Lil Mr. doesn't watch much but when he does it is Nick Jr.


The Franklin Series - Another book series that was adapted into a television show.  Lil Mr. likes the cartoons too.  "Franklin could count by twos and tie his shoes."


The Little Critter Series - These never get old! With a lesson in each story you can't help but love Little Critter!


The Berenstain Bears Series - I had forgotten about these until we got one in a book club mailing.  We have fallen in love with this bear family all over again!


1 comment:

  1. Seany has a few of my books from when I was a kid, two that I can think of off the top of my head are Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and The Giving Tree. And instead of When you Give a Mouse a Cookie, he had When you Give a Moose a Muffin, and got a stuffed moose with it. Seany loves his books. I got him a library card last year. He was so excited to use it. =)

    ReplyDelete